A salute to Boeing
When Boeing's 737-MAX airliner was introduced some years ago, two fatal crashes marred the company's reputation and allowed its European rival to become the dominant provider of airframes to the world. I was asked if I'd fly on the 737-MAX, and I replied: "Sure, if it's flown by an American pilot" (most of whom are trained by the US military). Today I'd add another possibility: sure, if there's an Israeli plumber on board!
As we learn more about the assault on the Airdubai flight to Tel Aviv, and as the world's media overcomes its reluctance to connect the dots, we find that the Islamist co-pilot attacked the pilot with the crash axe that's required in every cockpit these days. The Indian pilot managed to open the door, allowing passengers and crew to storm the cockpit and subdue his attacker, so the heroic plumber could pull the airliner out of its suicide dive toward the ground. The plane by this time was at an angle of 39 degrees and a speed near Mach 1 -- the speed of sound. The recovery subjected the aircraft to three G's, meaning that it and everyone aboard were suddenly subject to three times their normal weight. But the plane survived except for some damage to the rudder, and two relief pilots aboard were able to fly it for another hour and bring it down to a safe landing in Saudi Arabia.
Some plumber! Some aircraft!











0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home