Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Time is unstoppable

Who would have thought that, when this young woman became England's queen in 1953, she'd still be on the job in the 21st century? Today Elizabeth becomes the longest-reigning monarch in Britain's history, eclipsing the record previously held by Victoria. (Elizabeth comes far from reaching her great-great-grandmother's astounding number of children, whose marriages tangled the royal house with most of Europe's monarchies.)

Not only do I remember the Royal Wedding, but I laid plans to stow away on a passenger liner, so as to be in London for the great event. My mother talked me out of it, but I did get there in September 1954, as Britain's way way of repaying some of the aid it had received under the Marshall Plan. (It never occurred to me, either, that I'd be alive and working in the 21st century!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home