Monday, January 26, 2015

The last novel about Auschwitz

I live in a university town, so I am accustomed to people giving "trigger warnings" whenever a listener might take offense. So here's a warning: don't read this wonderful book if you are easily grossed out, if you believe one should approach the Holocaust with folded hands and downcast eyes, or indeed if you think there is a clear distinction between comedy and tragedy.

While it outraged many reviewers and left others puzzled, this is the greatest novel I have read in a very long time. I read it compulsively over two or three days, grabbing every spare minute, and it left me literally breathless, as if punched in the belly.

Get it at Amazon: The Zone of Interest

(Mr Amis never names Auschwitz, which is the Zone of Interest, or Kat Zet, just as he never names Hitler, who is the Director. This too has annoyed some reviewers.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home