Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Os ydych chi’n hoff o’ch meddyg neu’ch darparwr triniaeth iechyd, fedrwch eu cadw nhw

I thought I'd give the Washington Post website a try, in hopes that Jeff Bezos's ownership might have spruced it up a bit. Indeed it has! It's still rather, um, bold, but there's lots of delightful stuff including a Welsh phrasebook for Barack Obama to use at the NATO summit this week. I particularly liked the translation of "If you like your doctor or healthcare provider, you can keep them," which I have used as the title of this post.

Go here for the phrasebook.

Given the astonishing combinations of vowels and consonants embodied in the Welsh language, there's a helpful audio option that you can click on. This was especially helpful to me, because fifty-nine years ago over many pints of beer, Malcolm Hopson taught me how to pronounce the name of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllandysiliogogogoch, which on road signs is shortened to Llanfair P.G. Come to find out, all these years I have been making a hash of the last two syllables, which I had been rendering go-gah but which apparently should be pronounced go-go.

Thank you, Jeff Bezos!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home