Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Collectible Beetle

The VW Beetle was the first new car I ever bought, for $1672 including an AM radio and the side vent-windows, which were what we had at the time instead of air conditioning. Among other expeditions, I drove the thing to New Orleans, Tucson, Long Beach, Aspen, and over Loveland Pass to New Hampshire again, sleeping in the car while on the road. (I'd modified the back of the passenger seat to lie flat.) I loved the car, but really, it was the most dangerous thing on the road, with an under-steer so serious that in snow I regularly found myself skidding off the road.

Now the New York Times tells me that the Beetle is a collector's item! The 1964 model above is expected to sell in the range of $12,000-$14,000. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home