Thursday, December 23, 2010

Madi, queen of the castle

     In Britain where I had come from, and in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany where I traveled later, a 1950s youth hostel was a rather idealistic affair, owned by a national or sub-national association and run for the betterment of young people, generally defined as someone no older than twenty-five, mostly hikers, bicyclists, and those traveling by public transport. Hitchhikers were tolerated, but anybody who drove up to a youth hostel would be summarily turned away. This was not the case in France and Italy. In Italy, especially, each hostel seemed to be a private affair, run by an individual or a couple as their livelihood, and the rules were enforced with a generous hand. On the Adriatic coast, I met a German family, touring Italy by car; the hostel was a flat-roofed building, and the five of them dragged mattresses up to the roof, there to sleep in familial privacy. And our little gang lived at the castle in Lerici for the better part of two weeks, though three nights was supposed to be the outside limit for a hostel stay.
     At Lerici, Madi made the rules. I find that her name was Maddalena di Carlo, and that she had some local fame as comunista e partigiana, Communist and guerrilla fighter, who carried the Red Flag in the annual May Day parade. I can find no one to tell me, however, what her career as partigiana amounted to. Did she blow up German supply trains, carry a rifle in the mountains, turn the crank on a mimeograph machine, or merely grumble about the fascists? I don't know; I didn't ask, young and stupid as I was.
    Postwar, Madi became custode amata del castello di Lerici, the beloved custodian of the castle, which was her home and source of income until she was evicted. In 1974 the citizens of Lerici concluded that she could no longer provide her young charges with "an effective and hygienic management," as one of her fans explained the situation to me. By that time Madi was quite the crone, all but sexless in her cropped gray hair, lean face, and cast-off clothing. I don't remember her particularly, but as the flower children of a later generation replaced the vagabondi of mine, she became hugely popular among the them, which likely caused her to become less popular among the townspeople. Not only did the "Lericini" get rid of Madi as hostel keeper; in time they also voted to close the hostel. "The flow of young people ended," my email friend recalled. "They did not carry money and they created disorder." I suppose that was true. Our gang was fairly well-behaved, I think, but we were products of an earlier time. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it may have taken 8 years to get an answer, but when I stayed there twice in 70/71 the story was that she had, as a great beauty in her youth, lured a German general to the edge of the castle walls with her seductive powers and hurled him over the edge...

Sounded good to me !

It was a hell of a place. I'll never forget it.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Morgan McMahon. said...

I arrived in Lerici today for only the second time - I was in the general area and went to review the castle where I arrived by motor cycle in 1971. I was beginning to think that I only imagined staying in the castle until I googled youth hostel castle Lerici and found your blog amongst other references - happy days of careless youth!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Daniel Ford said...

Were there tears in your eyes? I finally got back to the Gulf of Poets in 2016, and when the taxi came over a rise and I saw the castle rising against the sky, I was just overwhelmed. Of course with me it had been 61 years since I hitchhiked to Lerici with my Polish girlfriend.

When I wrote that post in 2010, I was just beginning to think about the book that eventually become Poland's Daughter: How I Met Basia, Hitchhiked to Italy, and Learned About Love, War, and Exile. The castle was closed for renovations, but my wife (not Basia!) and I stopped for coffee at a cafe down on the waterfront, which was replete with photos from the old days. Not the least of my surprises was to be told by the proprietor that Madi's name was not pronounced MAH-dee as I had remembered, but Mah-DEE. I assume he knew what he was talking about, since he claimed to have known her.

Thanks for writing! There is, incidentally, a Facebook page about the castle and its years as a youth hostel. -- Dan

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hitchhiked there with my then boyfriend in 1965. We were 22 years old and when we found the Lerici youth hostel, it was heaven. Must have stayed there for about a week in which we could hardly believe our luck -- the friendliness, a kitchen where groups prepared simple meals. Almost didn't want to leave.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger hermoine said...

I just hit the big 80 this month! In the summer of 1967 I landed in Lerici and found my way to the castle...... what an experience. I think I stayed for over a week. I remember that so long as we made it back to the castle by curfew 11P? then no one cared when anyone went to bed. I was travelling alone, I was brave in those days but no shortage of friends at the hostel. I was on my back to England to board a ship to Canada and probably my native land, New Zealand. Got sidetracked in Vermont for the last almost 40 years.I'll always remember that castle in Lerici.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home