Saturday, August 01, 2009

A learning moment

The president called it a ‘teaching moment’, but it might better have been a learning moment, for all three participants—most especially the president! Henry Gates at least seemed to get the point: ‘Let me say that I thank God that I live in a country in which police officers put their lives at risk to protect us every day, and, more than ever, I’ve come to understand and appreciate their daily sacrifices on our behalf’.

Wouldn’t it be pretty to think so? However, as a proto-slacker I must point out that all of my encounters with law enforcement have been unpleasant. One sucks it up, smiles, says ‘Yes, Officer', and hopes to avoid the consequences—a ticket for me, handcuffs for Professor Gates.

And above all, one complains only to one’s wife, and then only after we’re safely on the road again. Racism? Bullshit. Cops are cops. What can one say? Even a slacker wouldn't want to live in a world without cops. Blue skies! – Dan Ford

3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Gates thought he'd capture a "teachable" moment and couldn't resist (pardon pun) waving a flag at a bull. Unluckily for him, though, he picked the wrong bull. (What are the odds of picking an highly respected, credentialed and scrupled cop?) My blue eyed, blond, then 20 year old son had a similar experience in Waltham, as he tried to climb his balcony to "break in" to his own apartment. Key phrases of the cop:kid conversation went something like, "Yes officer", "Thank you officer", just as all us white folks have learned in this nation of LAWS. I applaud Mr. Gates for advancing transparency, but I don't think he intended to expose how far reverse racism has escalated.
Thanks for the blog

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Daniel Ford said...

A somewhat more, um, nuanced view of all this is presented by Shelby Steele at the WSJ. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phenomenal writing. thanks for the link

 

Post a Comment

<< Home