Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A note that came in the email

We all know the downside of the internet: it sucks up time that would better be devoted to more productive work. But ah, the upside! We meet people who otherwise would always be below the horizon. Most often this takes the form of information, but sometimes it's simply a grace note, like this email I received out of the blue. It refers to Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942:

'I bought your book when it first came out and was simply taken aback at the depth and and historic judgment that you brought to this subject. I enjoyed it so much that I bought a second copy just to keep in a pristine condition as the first was read and reread so many times that it was an exemplar of the wear and tear that favorite books get from years of enjoyment.... In any event, I simply wanted to offer my hand as it were, and tell you how very much I enjoyed the book. I thought you were scrupulously fair to all concerned and that the human story, as opposed to the John Wayne Hollywood heroes was of much more interest than fairy tales.'

That was certainly my intention. Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home